Ontario Providing More Funding for Hospital Care and Beds in Kawartha Lakes
New investments will ensure local families have access to high-quality health care
May 3, 2022
LINDSAY — Today, Laurie Scott, MPP for Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock announced Ross Memorial Hospital is receiving an additional $1.9 million in operating funding, representing a 2.4% increase over last year.
In addition, as part of its plan to stay open, the Ontario government is investing $2,628,000 to add 12 patient beds to Ross Memorial Hospital.
These new beds are part of a capital plan expansion with more than 50 major projects that will add 3,000 new beds over 10 years and support the continuation of over 3,100 acute and post-acute beds in hospitals and alternate health care facilities, and hundreds of new adult, paediatric and neonatal critical care beds. Since the outset of the pandemic, the government has added 777 more intensive-care unit hospital beds with the capacity to now handle 2,448 critical care patients.
The increased annual investment is part of the Ontario government’s $827 million additional investment to hospitals across the province, representing a four per cent increase from last year. This will ensure all publicly funded hospitals receive a minimum two per cent increase to their operating budgets to help them better meet patient needs, while building a stronger, more resilient health care system.
“This additional investment and annual commitment for 12 patient beds is fantastic news for community members here in Kawartha Lakes,” said Laurie Scott, MPP for Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock. “Ross Memorial Hospital has gone above and beyond to support patients and families during the pandemic and this funding will help address increased pressure on the healthcare system and help more local residents get the care they need, when they need it.”
“Ross Memorial Hospital is extremely grateful for the Ministry of Health’s investment into patient care at our hospital,” said Kelly Isfan, President and CEO of Ross Memorial Hospital. “The increase in operational funding will help the hospital address infrastructure needs and support our team of dedicated health care professionals. Our 12 new patient beds increase the hospital’s capacity to be flexible and ensure the delivery of exceptional care to members of our community.”
Over the last four years, the Ontario government has made significant investments in Ontario’s hospitals as part of its plan to build a stronger, more resilient health care system that is better able to respond to crisis. This includes overall sector increases four years in a row, representing a total provincial investment of $2.5 billion since 2019.
“Ontario’s hospitals have been unwavering in their commitment to protect the health and wellbeing of Ontarians, and our government is committed to ensuring that they have the resources needed to recover from the pandemic and meet the ongoing needs of the communities they serve,” said Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health. “By increasing investments in hospitals provincewide, our government is helping to ensure that patients have access to the high-quality care they need, when and where they need it.”
- To support growing demands on the health care system, Ontario’s investments over the next 10 years will lead to $40 billion in health infrastructure across the province. These investments will increase capacity in hospitals, build new health care facilities, and renew existing hospitals and community health centres.